The University of Nevada Reno was founded in 1874 as the State University of Nevada in Elko, Nevada, about 300 miles northeast of its present-day campus in Reno. The site for the university preparatory school in eastern Nevada (where no state institutions had previously been located) proved to be impractical, as nearly half of the state’s residents lived in the Reno-Carson City area. In 1885, the legislature approved the move of the University from Elko to Reno. In the last 35 years, the University has met the challenges of leadership in what is now the fastest-growing state in the country, with its enrollment rising to more than 17,000 students in fall 2010.
Graduate assistants perform a variety of duties from teaching undergraduate classes to grading papers, to conducting research in laboratories. Teaching assistants receive special teaching-skills training through the Graduate School. All graduate students holding an assistantship (teaching TA or research RA) are considered Nevada residents for tuition purposes. Non-resident tuition is only waived for the duration of the assistantship. International students serving as Teaching Assistants must meet minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores.
For more information, please visit: http://bit.ly/XdhqJk